Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Truth does not age

Rebirth of a Realist
David Truskoff's work can be found on Amazon and all other internet books sales.


WAIT FOR ME CHILD (Sidney T. Black Publishing)

“Cannot we women here in the US even interest ourselves
enough to study the possible ways open to us in the world today of eliminating the causes of war and then get behind movements furthering those ends with some demonstrations of our own?”
... Eleanor Roosevelt

Delores Matzak heard the call of Eleanor Roosevelt as a young student, only to find that it’s a long journey from political protesting in the streets to the vice presidency of a major advertising agency on Madison Avenue, but Delores Matzak made that journey.

Wait For Me Child is more than the story of one person; it is the story that could be told of many idealistic Americans who endure the pain of helplessly watching history’s cycle spin before them.

Oh, to feel young again, to have the courage of youth, and to truly believe that you can make a difference.

From the book...
"Martha, the children simply asked me to drop something off for them. I heard them talking in the game room. Remember that day?" Martha nodded and he continued. "I knew they were planning something. I thought that they were going to have some kind of protest and give out leaflets. They explained that if they were seen carrying the boxes to the area the police might stop them because they did not have a permit. I had to stay in town anyway to have the car serviced so what was the harm? I just didn’t see that there was any harm that I was doing to anyone. They said that they would ask Miss Matzak if they could leave the boxes at her apartment because it was very near the place. All I had to do was pick them up there and drop them off further down the drive. I am so sorry if I ..."
"Wait, Knut. Think about this. How did you know that Miss Matzak was going to accept the boxes and that she would be waiting for you?"
"I told you," Val said..."
"No, listen. That day, how did you know that Miss Matzak and the boxes would be waiting for you?"
"I called her and she said that she would leave early for lunch and she would be waiting for me. I asked her if she knew where the place was and she said that she did. I tell you sir, I had no idea that it would be so serious to affect your business. I don’t know what to say."
"Knut, let me understand this. You called Del at the office and you discussed it with her?" Knut didn’t answer. He just looked at Del and then back over at David. He blinked rapidly and turned away.
Del’s eyes glistened. "David please," she said. "You can do what you want. Blame me. Hell, to Hendrix I’m still your secretary and secretaries get blamed for everything. Fire me, but it wasn’t Knut’s fault. He had no reason to believe that there was anything more than anti-war leaflets."
"Will you both stop saying that? I don’t give a damn if it was just toilet paper. It was a dumb thing to do and look at where it has taken us." He slid off the stool and waved his arms. "And to be discussing it on the office phone through that switchboard, it’s incredible." "I suppose that it is," Del answered. "The kids called me first. They were very guarded. If someone was listening I suppose it would have made them suspicious."
"You suppose . . . Del, how could you have gotten yourself and Knut into such a thing." "No . . . no," Knut protested standing to face his employer. "She told me not to go. She said that it was a bad idea to use that car. She said that it was bad enough for you that the kids were involved, but I thought that it was better this way because there was less chance of them getting in trouble."
"Oh no," David groaned. "You thought they wouldn’t get in trouble? I can’t believe that my Val had anything to do with bombing a church."
Del smiled. "They didn’t. bomb a church. They threw what the kids call stink bombs. It is a conference center and office building.The cars parked off the drive belonged to Tommy and one of the others. They reported them stolen that morning. so the police would not be able to place them at Riverside Drive. That’s why they couldn’t carry the things in them. They were afraid if they got stopped the police would find it. Later they walked to the cars and drove away."
David continued to shake his head. "Do both of you agree with what they did?"
Knut pointed one finger on each hand upwards. "To be honest, I do. I do not judge them. The actions are theirs. They are young and they have a right to make mistakes, if it was a mistake, but how do you justify your actions when it hurts somebody else? I don’t know what to do or say accept that I am sorry."
"I agree with that," Del said smiling and nodding at Knut. "I am also sorry that I hurt you and V&W, but I am not sorry for what I did. I was very moved when Knut said that he felt like a man. I felt like a woman, free to do the things her heart and mind tell her to do. I felt young. It was beautiful. I know how much V&W means to you. I am sorry . . . very sorry about that. I didn’t mean to. . . . Well, as I said you can tell Hendrix that you have fired me and that I was the cause."
"Oh, damn it," David said getting to his feet after slamming his hand down on the counter. "I’m not firing anybody. I just want to reason this whole thing out in my mind. Barney was not accidentally killed. He was shot. I am certain that it ties in to V&W somehow. I am sure the police and the State Police all feel the same way. Now lets get the kitchen cleaned up . . . no . . . no, Martha. Del and I will do it. You two go on up to bed."
<<<>>>
Martha burst into tears as soon as their apartment door was shut. Knut patted her back with one hand and held her head against his chest with the other. "I’m sorry . . . I am very sorry, Martha . . . I didn’t want to hurt anybody."
"I know. I know, " Martha said moving her head up and down. "I am not crying about that." "What? What are you crying about?"
"Didn’t you hear her? Didn’t you hear? . . . She sounded just like Ruth."

CHAPTER THIRTY
Our lives are shaped by the people we meet. From the
crib to the grave, it’s the people we meet. The people we meet
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home